Well Freeplay 2010 just occured in Melbourne and it was really awesome, I have a lot of thoughts, a pile of re-affirmation about what i’m doing and some great skills to test out when I get back home. But I spent a lot of time on twitter over the weekend, talked with loads of people so I decided that the best way to run through all the twitter accounts I found (or already had) over the weekend with my thoughts where I can apply them. Sort of a report but in context of people. This is by no means a complete list as I could keep pouring over the list for days, so I decided to stop here right now and get the first draft out. However I would love to make this a even MORE complete report, considering there was 66 people listed in the programme booklet and I have NINE people listed here as guests (granted right now I’m not going looking very far, e.g. not beyond the #freeplay10 search) I have a little more work to do.
In short, please check this over and follow some of these people, if you want me to update / add / remove yourself off this list ping me @Sonictail or email@example.com.
Really Important People
Basically these are the people who made the event / parts of the event happen, check em out!
- @free_play: The official FreePlay twitter account, important to note.
- @paul_callaghan: Paul was one of the Co-Directors of FreePlay, please direct thanks there!
- @peenydeeny: Eve was the other Co-Director, I had a nice chat with her both nights when she was wiped. Seriously epic achievement here!
- @IGDAMelbourne: The Independent Game Developers Association of Melbourne, awesome bunch of guys who organised drinks every night, check em out! They’re more active than ever (literally!)
Important People, but not for freeplay…
Here’s two accounts you should be following cause basically, it might help you out in the future!
- @artsdigitlera: Fee Plumley from Australia Council, introduced everyone to the idea of how the Arts funding through the AC works. Check out http://www.artsdigitalera.com/ for more info.
- @WorstMC: Mike Cowap is from Screen Australia, I didn’t realise that they were only 18 months old! He also gave info during the Government Secrets panel. They’re open to ideas so check out Screen Australia’s website.
These are the guests I could find on twitter, this is by no means a complete or accurate list, but I did try to match people to what they did etc, please don’t hurt me ;>.>
- @AdamATOMiC: Adam Saltsman gave the Keynote on Sunday at #FreePlay10 on Play & Games & Video Games & Us… I still need to finish digesting this talk before I speak on it.
- @brandonnn: Brandon Boyer gave the Saturday keynote on All Play is Personal speaking about how he stopped making games and started writing about them and more importantly why. Also thank him for Offworld, even if you haven’t read it, it’s affected you in some way. No joke!
- @Doolwind: Alistair Doulin is a Brisbane based developer who is listed as a speaker, but I cannot find what he spoke on! (please feel free to correct me) But in the meantime he has already put his thoughts on #FreePlay10 online, check http://bit.ly/indiecondition to read it!
- @benbritten: Gave the talk on using Unity3d, which you can now check out on his website here.
- @terrypaton1: Terry Paton was up during the “A Million Little Ideas” talk and had some excellent thoughts on the subject, also check his blog http://pixelpaton.com/.
- @brawsome: Andrew Golding is responsible for Jolly Rover which won Best Game at the #FreePlay10 awards. Seriously, check out Jolly Rover now!
- @KlickTock: Matthew Hall runs KlickTock which is responsible for Doodle Find on iPhone. He also was on the “One Man Band” panel talking about what he’s learnt as a solo developer.
- @morganjaffit: Morgan Jaffit was on the “Play is Everywhere” panel, runs a startup in Brisbane called Defiant Development and seems to be really awesome. You can check his blog here. Also has worked for Irrational, Relic, Ubisoft and Pandemic. I hope I didn’t annoy him over twitter ;>.>
- @lantree: Glenn Watson gave a talk on pipeline tools and development which I really enjoyed, I just wish he had more time. He’s a big beliver in sharing so check his blog here.
- @dangolding: Dan was on the twisting space panel which I unfortunately missed (but many said was epic) check his website here.
These people didn’t necessairly speak but have awesome games, do I need to say more on this?
- @TinManGames: Group of Melbourne devs who were nominated for Best Sound at #Freeplay10, check their games out at http://www.tinmangames.com.au/.
- @TheVoxelAgents: The Voxel Agents apparently make Train Conductor which looks pretty cool (on Iphone). All I know is that I spent a little time chatting to Matt Clark about what the Voxel Agents are doing and I want to keep up with what they’re doing next!
- @Jason_Bakker: Lead Programmer and Designer on one of the experimedia games, Shadow-Field.
- @RBA_TimothyRyan: One of the Ryan Brothers, check their website at http://www.ryanbrothers.com.au/
- @RBA_TobyeRyan: I suspect this is the other Ryan Brother…
And everyone else
These are the people I found on Twitter that commented through the weekend, I’ve posted what I could find with a couple of links (no time on google here folks) but if there’s no comment, why not drop me a line and let me know what’s what? (@sonictail). Additionally if you’re in this list and are a speaker or a dev, let me know and i’ll correct that.
- @grassisleena: Leena seemed fairly active during #freeplay10 but she did a nice little piece beforehand on the Co-Director on #FreePlay10 and you can read it here.
- @DYoshii: There is only one thing I can say about Brad… RUN FOR THE HILLS!
- @Jickle: James O’Conner, Writes awesome articles for Hyper and is a all round awesome guy. I’m dissapointed that I missed catching him at #Freeplay10 but you can check his website here.
- @GameTacoWall: People from Game Taco were tweeting all weekend, their podcast / website is located here.
- @BRKeogh: Brendan Keogh has been writing reports on #FreePlay10 for Gamasutra, check out his report on Brendon Boyer’s keynote here: http://bit.ly/cUtuwn
And that’s all for now, i’ll post some thougts later, now I have to do some actual work (yuck)